Friday, January 2, 2015

New Years and Why It's Not My Favorite


Good Morning, lovelies! Happy 2015! 

This was the first year that I actually celebrated the new year. I have never really been a fan of it. Maybe because I've always had a touch of cynic and therefore, I don't see the new year as refreshing and exciting as everyone else does. I see it more as just time passing. But this year was the first year that I got excited about the new year and about the event of NYE. So my best friend from college drove up (more like sped up, she cut the trip almost in half) and we spent two days together and went to a NYE party. 

So, with this, I've tried to embrace the idea of how refreshing the new year is going to be. However, even with this attitude in mind, I must admit that I have always had a problem with new years resolutions. With the new year comes the inevitability and expectation of the formation of new years resolution. Is it just me or is that sentence just a little too much? Let me rephrase. With the new year comes the unavoidable new years resolution. I saw this amusing photo on men's humor twitter and thought that it pretty much sums up the problem with new years resolutions. 
Tell me that's not perfect? So, let me lay it out for you, my problem with resolutions that is. People use resolutions as a crutch. They take a look at their lives and pick something that's "wrong" or something that could be improved and then set out "change" it. Will they actually change? No, of course not. But here's my thought as to why. I would take a stab and say that people who choose to change at any given time, specifically not New Years, are probably more likely to stay with the change they decide to make. Why? Because they are making the choice themselves, not because society is telling them that they have to change or improve something in their life simply because it is a new year. 

So, here is my extension of that thought that relates to you. If you do decide that you want to make a New Years resolution, do it because you want to, not because you think you should. If you want to change something in your life, do it because you think that thing should be changed or improved, not because it is a new year.

I wish you all a good, happy, new year. Until next time, my dears...

No comments: