Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Dear John Green,

UGH! It has been too long, I'm sorry, my dears. But, if you're in college, you understand how hectic it can get. And when I get a free moment, I enjoy the quiet. So, for today's rant, a bit of pop culture. 

Let's start with Taylor Swift's new CD. Being someone who works with, in and around music, I understand the significance of the weekly new release date being moved from Tuesday to Monday. And a good point someone brought up was the amount of celebrities that she had hyping this CD was ridiculous. And while I haven't listened to it yet, can it really be better than Red? Isn't that equivalent to Maroon 5 thinking they'll make a better CD than Songs About Jane. Or Three Days Grace thinking they'll do just as well without Adam? But, the one review that I have heard, that I actually trust, is that of Blink-182's Mark Hoppus. I was surprised to see this pop up on my twitter feed. (see left) Now, I love Mark. He has a great line of merchandise, I love his tweets and his instagram feed. I've met him, he has a great personality. So, truthfully, anything Mark says about music, I trust. So, I will give the new T-Swift album a try. Let me know what you guys think of it.



Now, let's move on to some movie news. If you follow John Green on... well on anything, you'll see that pre-production of Paper Towns has begun. Now, I absolutely LOVED the book Paper Towns. I may have liked it more than TFIOS. Partially, because it wasn't the classic boy+girl=love. (not that I don't devour those books shamelessly) Now only was Paper Towns written from the perspective of a boy, Quentin Jacobson, but the character of Margo Roth Spiegelman was the kind of daring, adventurous, spit-fire girl we all wish we were brave enough to be. And let's not forget Q's best friend Radar and his parent's obsession with the Black Santas. While I do realize that John Green is not the casting director, what is with the actors chosen for Margo and Radar?! Nat Wolfe, yes! Good choice! But the actor picked for Radar looks like he's 12, and these are supposed to be high school seniors. And Margo is not at all how I imagined her. She should be... I don't know, softer? The actress chosen to play Margo is Cara Delevingne (is that spelled right?) who is pretty, yes. But almost a harsh kind of pretty. And oh girl! Those eyebrows! So, John and casting director (whose name I could not find) I'm sure Cara is a nice person and an adequate actress, but as someone who read the book, I am slightly disappointed in your casting choices. 

Until next time, my lovelies... xoxo

No comments: